- About Us
- Academic Programs
- Administrator Resources
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Site Index
Dual Career Resources
Iowa State University is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff. We also recognize that our faculty and staff seek to combine a stimulating academic career with a satisfying personal life. The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, in collaboration with colleges and departments, is dedicated to working with our new faculty and senior-level administrators to assist in their transition to the Ames area. Our Dual Career Resources help identify career options for the partners of new faculty and senior-level administrators.
NOTE: Our Dual Career Resources are available for those partners/spouses seeking employment, but we cannot guarantee job placement.
Who qualifies for our resources?
- Partners and spouses of new tenure-eligible faculty members and senior-level administrators
- Partners and spouses who are part of a recruitment or hiring effort
- Partners and spouses who have lived in the area for less than two years
What resources do we provide?
Our Dual Career Resources provide partners and spouses of faculty and senior administrators with support in identifying employment opportunities both on campus and in the community. We offer three types of resources:
- Assistance in exploring faculty employment opportunities on campus which require partial funding from the Senior Vice President and Provost. These requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Assistance in exploring existing non-faculty employment opportunities on campus through individual consultation with Iowa State's University Human Resources.
- Assistance in exploring employment opportunities off campus in surrounding communities with the support of a university-contracted career coach. Our partner, WorkLife Design Inc., will help the spouse or partner to:
- Identify what he/she does best and most enjoys doing
- Explore values, environment, and lifestyle goals
- Identify career and job options
- Position him/herself effectively in today's marketplace
- Improve his/her resume writing
- Prepare for interviews
- Write strategic letters and plan follow-up activities
- Network effectively
- Negotiate offers
- Stay energized during the JobGettingTM process,
- Start off on the right foot in his/her new position
- Explore self-employment as an option
How do these resources work?
- For assistance in exploring on-campus faculty employment opportunities, the primary faculty member should discuss the dual career need with the department chair to determine what options are possible. If a faculty position is identified, the department chair and/or dean submit to the Associate Provost for Faculty a request for partial salary support using the standard request form. These requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. See Salary Support for Recruiting and Retaining Tenured and Tenure Eligible Faculty for more information.
- For assistance in exploring existing on-campus non-faculty employment opportunities, the department chair and/or dean contacts the office of the Associate Provost for Faculty to make the referral and to provide basic information about the status of the search. The Associate Provost for Faculty assists the spouse/partner in making contact with an HR specialist in University Human Resources.
- For assistance in exploring off-campus employment opportunities, the department chair and/or dean contacts the office of the Associate Provost for Faculty to make the referral and to provide basic information about the status of the search. The Associate Provost for Faculty assists the spouse/partner in making contact with our external consultant, Terri Deems, of WorkLife Design, Inc., who will provide career coaching. The cost of the program ($2,000) is split by the hiring unit and the Senior Vice President and Provost. NOTE: WorkLife Design, Inc., offers career coaching and is not a placement agency.
Job Search Resources
- Iowa State University jobs
- Iowa Workforce Development
- State of Iowa jobs
- Federal jobs:
- Other job search sites:
- Ames Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Des Moines Partnership (Des Moines Chamber of Commerce)
- Iowa State University career services
- ISU ADVANCE Program
- Member of the Cyclone Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Managers
- Central Midwest HERC: We understand that employment decisions often involve two careers. To assist in recruiting the most talented and diverse faculty and staff, our institution is a member of the Central Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). Visit the Central Midwest HERC website at www.centralmidwestherc.org to search for open positions within a commutable distance of our institution.
For more information on our Dual Career Resources please contact: