- About Us
- Administrator Resources
- Academic Programs
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Awards - ISU Faculty and Staff
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Faculty Advancement/Review
- Faculty Honors and Awards Hub
- Faculty Hiring
- New Faculty Orientation
- Professional Development
- Administrative Fellowship Program
- Big 12 Faculty Fellowship Program
- Department Chairs
- Early Career Faculty Programs and Resources
- External Opportunities
- Fulbright Program
- ISU ADVANCE
- Term Faculty
- Faculty Handbook
- Site Index
The Department Chairs Council, comprised of all current department Chairs provides communication between the department Chairs as a group and the administration, faculty, staff, and students of Iowa State University. The Council works to encourage the exchange of information, insights and concerns among department Chairs. To facilitate this, the Council elects a Cabinet which meets monthly to discuss and establish positions on matters of University concern with particular implications for academic departments and programs.
The Department Chair Workshop Series aims to provide department chairs with valuable information and useful resources to assist them in their work as managers and academic leaders of their departments. The monthly workshops seek to build a community of practice for ongoing information sharing, problem solving, and support.
Workshops are led by faculty, staff, and administrators with demonstrated expertise in the session topic. Presentation materials and handouts may be distributed during the sessions and/or posted on our website.
All department chairs, associate and assistant chairs are strongly encouraged to attend.
For more information contact:
- Katharine Hensley, Faculty Success Coordinator, at 294-8823 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost coordinates orientation, training, and support for new academic affairs administrators (e.g. department chairs, associate deans, academic program directors). This orientation brings administrators and experts from around campus who can offer valuable insight on the new responsibilities of academic administrators and who will serve as a resource. The orientation also provides an opportunity to interact with colleagues.
- Suggested reading list for new department chairs (DOC, 14KB)
- "Ethics, Integrity and Civility in Higher Education: New Approaches to Foster a Culture of Trust" powerpoint presentation by Neil Hamilton (Powerpoint, 776KB)
- Iowa State University Department Chair: Role, Progression and Directions (PDF, 7.62MB)
- Sample candidate evaluation form (PDF, 39KB)
- For Chairs: The Seat's Gotten Hotter (PDF, 103KB)
- 10 Things I Never Knew about Being an Academic Chair: Lessons Learned from Year One in Administration
- Thoughts for New Chairs from Dean Schmittmann (DOC, 21KB)
- American Council on Education's (ACE) Department Leadership Programs
- Departmental governance document guidelines (PDF, 21KB)
- Effective practices for academic leaders
- Harassment/Discrimination policy/resources
- ISU Policies and Guidelines for Flexible Faculty Careers: Resources for Chairs and Deans (PDF, 555KB)
- University of Michigan resources for deans and chairs