- About Us
- Administrator Resources
- Academic Programs
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Awards - ISU Faculty and Staff
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Faculty Advancement/Review
- Faculty Hiring
- Faculty Handbook
- Professional Development
- New Faculty Orientation
- Site Index
The Fulbright Program
The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. Its purpose is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries through citizen diplomacy.
The Fulbright Program awards about 8000 grants annually to citizens from the U.S. and 160 other countries. Grantees are chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential in their field. Since its inception, about 370,000 participants have been awarded the opportunity to study, teach, conduct research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns. Grants are available for graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, scholars, artists, and other professionals.
Program History and Participation
- Established in 1946 under legislation introduced by Senator J. William Fulbright
- Sponsored by U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)
- Awards approximately 8,000 grants annually in over 160 countries
Fulbright Grant Categories
The "Fulbright Program" encompasses a variety of exchange programs.
- Fulbright Scholar Program
- Fulbright Association Iowa Chapter: Do you want to know about Fulbright networking events, conferences, social gatherings and workshops? Events take place year-round in Ames, Des Moines and around the state.
- Fulbright Students and Scholars at ISU: The goal of this ISU student organization is to create support structures, awareness, interest, and opportunities for current, former and prospective Fulbrighters at ISU and within the Fulbright program worldwide.
Questions or comments about the Fulbright Program, contact:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (202) 632-3238
For faculty and other professionals:
Fulbright Association Iowa Chapter:
- Sonia Gunderson, email@example.com